Wednesday, July 7, 2010

the gateless gate















A note to mention a few things in process for later this summer; I was asked by Etude Records to interview Catalan musician Ferran Fages to serve as a press release for his next album, Lullaby For Lali. I am pleased with this, as Ferran is a musician I think more people should hear, and he can be heard in a variety of contexts, engaged as he is with both composition and improvisation, ranging from spare and laconic solo guitar works, to the synapse-jolting noise of Cremaster.

Additionally, my review of the Taku Unami/Annette Krebs duo, motubachii, should appear very soon in the Bastille Day edition of Paris Transatlantic; I will be interviewing Taiga Records honcho Andrew Lange for a label profile of an imprint close to home for me; I am reviewing the film Amongst White Clouds for Cosmos Pictures; and the queue of releases awaiting my, let's say deliberate pace, is growing. My thanks to all the musicians who have sent me work and refrain from impatient emails as I deliberate through the queue.



Every day Zuigan used to call out to himself, "Master!" and then he answered himself, "Yes, Sir!" And he added, "Awake, Awake!" and then answered, "Yes, Sir! Yes, Sir!"

" From now onwards, do not be deceived by others!" "No, Sir! I will not, Sir!"

~ Mumon [The Gateless Gate, all 48 koans with commentary by Ekai]

No comments: