Friday, July 1, 2011

gestures rather than signs








I do not know how to make poems, or regard myself as a poet, or find, particularly, poetry in my poems, and am not the first to say so.

I write with transport and for myself,

a) sometimes to liberate myself from an intolerable tension or from a no less painful abandonment.

b) sometimes for a companion whom I imagine...

c) deliberately to shake the congealed and established, to invent.

Readers trouble me. I write, if you like, for the unknown reader.


~ Henri Michaux, quoted in Rene Bertele's Panorama de la Jeune Poesie


Soon, a piece on Dimitra Lazaridou Chatzigoga, and her fine solo release, Stroke By Stroke, available in July 2011 on Organized Music From Thessaloniki.


Title from Michaux, Stroke By Stroke, 1984

No comments: